Tuesday, June 9, 2009

FOURTEEN GOING ON THIRTY FIVE


When I was 14 all I wanted to do was hang out with my friends and try and do as little as possible to get by in school.  On the other hand, 14 year old chef Greg Grossman, began a catering business when he was 11 which gained him recognition with celebrity chefs and now his little go getter self is getting his own reality show.  This little boy has accomplished more than most people do in a lifetime.  You can’t help but to use that as motivation. 

Q: How long have you been working in molecular gastronomy?

A: "Since I was a young kid, since I was like 11. But please don't think it's all flashy and stuff and that's why I work in molecular gastronomy. I see it as a way of enhancing the flavors of a dish. It's more about decorating the room than building it."

Q: You're 13. Come on. I'm not going to read that your family changed your birth certificate and you're 25?

A: "I'm 13. I'll be 14 next week. No, I got into cooking just because I ate at so many good places and I would come home and try to re-create it. But I read a lot of food books and I watch some Food Network. But mostly, I am just entirely self-taught."

Q: How do you know Grant Achatz?

A: "He's been one of my favorites since like forever, and I met him at different events. My parents know a lot of people, and I've been in contact with all the best chefs in the world. The other day I ran into Grant at the James Beard Foundation Awards, and he invited me to Alinea. It's like a formal invitation. I don't know exactly what I'll be doing, but it's definitely an honor."

Q: You're friends with Eric Ripert?

A: "I'm not sure friends. I have an open invitation to shadow him at [the acclaimed chef's New York culinary palace] Le Bernardin. And I'm going to spend time in the kitchen at Mini Bar in D.C. soon -- you know, at Jose Andres' place?"

Q: Are you making money as a caterer?

A: "No. I don't charge enough. I've been taken advantage of, I think. I would charge like $150 on average, and other people are asking like $2,000! Which is a lot of money, but I'm not marking up food at all. People are like, 'How much will you take?' "

Q: You want to be taken seriously, but talent or not, you're aware a lot of people may see you as a novelty act.

A: "Yeah. When I started, I stayed in back, then people started coming to meet the chef and they would find this 13-year old and they're always kind of amazed. But I decided I don't want to play up my age because I don't want everyone to think like, you know, that I think I'm the best -- that I'm this stuck-up kid who thinks he's the best chef in the world. I'm not stuck-up at all."